Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Okay ... here we go ... rant time.

I have a problem, a small problem with how some auto manufacturers are presenting, wait ... falsely presenting the next generation of automobiles. Not only do I have a problem with how the manufactures are presenting this, but I have an even larger problem with how eagerly and blindly the general populous is accepting these new truths. What am I talking about... Interested yet ?? Today’s rant is about the electric car.

Enter GM (General Motors) and the newly appointed “Volt”. This vehicle is slated for release in 2010, and has been highly touted as the “solution” to the petroleum propelled vehicles that have dominated the markets for the past 100 years or more. This car will run off 100 % electric power, no gasoline or diesel, just electricity. Sounds great right? The solution to all our oil problems plaguing the world right?

The other day I was on the train, listening to people talk about the new car and the advertisement they had recently seen. These two individuals seem so assured, so positive, so enamoured with the concept of this car that it was to end the world dependency on oil. That we were finally going to have a “zero carbon footprint” automobile available for purchase and we could all be part of the solution. I bit my tongue for a while during the conversation, but then finally gave in and had to discuss with them.

First I had to ask, where did you hear the term “zero carbon footprint”? It was so outlandish t me that I had to explain what this term meant, and how falsely misleading this was. First off I asked where this electricity comes from. And then proceeded to explain how our power consumption nationally breaks down. Over 1/3 of the power in our country is from fossil fuels... the very thing that the automobile was supposed to avoid right?

Nuclear FleetGenerating Capacity: 6,606 MWStations: 32007 Output: 44.2 TWh
Currently Generating:
6216 MW

Hydroelectric FleetGenerating Capacity: 6,972 MWStations: 642007 Output: 31.9 TWh
Currently Generating:
4754 MW

Fossil-Fuelled FleetGenerating Capacity: 8,577 MWStations: 52007 Output: 29.0 TWh
Currently Generating:
3080 MW


Next consider all the other non renewable sources that are in the automobile, rubber, plastics, chemicals, paints. Or how about all the infrastructure that is used to either store or transport the electricity to your home? Where am I going with all of this rant? It is simple; I truly wish that the auto manufactures would stay clear of terms like “zero carbon footprint” when this is so false. There is a HUGE carbon footprint for the vehicle, and all the power used by the driver.
Please do not take this rant to mean that I am against electric cars like the volt, rather the opposite; I fell they are a great step forward. I do wish however that the marketing guru’s would figure out another way to sell the products rather than using “buzz words” to fool the consumer sheep into making a noble choice.

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard a single car company use the word "zero carbon footprint" in a commercial. That is because this term applies to what a single person does in all aspects of their life (travelling via plane, recycling, etc) and their impact on their contribution to carbon emissions. Carbon neutral is the term you are thinking of and I agree that these vehicles are carbon neutral in the sense that they cut down immensely on carbon emissions by not using fossil fuels. In reality, a huge portion of carbon emissions come from deforestation (25 to 30%) as it affects the carbon cycle and the counterbalance that forests contribute. I think that the fact people are even aware of the term "carbon footprint" or "carbon neutral" is a massive advancement in the fight against pollution. I think that you should be proud of those that are aware of this term, as it does exist and is known in the scientific world as a true term, but not as you have discussed it here or not in the context that the people on the train understand it. It is not outlandish and in fact, although only one aspect of the fight for environmental salvation, is a valid concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, they greatly reduce the need for fossil fuels, and I am very pleased with this. I just think we as a society need to fully understand the terminology before passing judgement.

    In the time I got to know you, I became very aware that you have an astouding understand of these items, which i feel puts you in a rare top percentile of the populous.
    Unfortunately what the media and marketing teams are aware of, is that not everyone has this understanding. And they tout and utilize terms that make the general population believe that the cars are completely neutral, when they are not.

    In the end, I am extremely pleased that we are shifting the technologies over to alternatives, and hope the companies continue in this quest. I only wish the marketing people would be a little more cautious with choice of wording

    Thanks for the extremely insightful comments Shannon, always great to have your thoughts :)

    Stimulating discussion on this matter is my aim, and it would appear is yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I'm curious about is why hasn't anyone come up with a way of removing carbon from the atmosphere? There has to be a way...reducing our emissions help, but unless we plant a lot more trees we're still in hot water so to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to speak your mind :)