Friday, January 9, 2009

International Year of astonomy


Okay .. I am a geek ... yes I said it a GEEK.

I know, I know .. most of you already know this, but for some of you that might not have known me for years it might not have quite sunk in yet. I admit it and am almost proud of the fact that I love geeky things. For years I would spend countless hours outdoors with my scope taking photographs of the night sky (all before i got married and had kids of course)


So this is officially the international year of astronomy and I wanted to help spread the word to all of those out there that might not be aware. I am a believer of understanding our place in this vast universe, and how everything surrounding us works in ever so intricate ways. I feel that the sheer beauty of astronomical event, celestrial bodies, and vast nebulae are unrivaled amongst anything in nature.


Yes, I have even been brought to tears, full blow tears peering through my telescope at the sheer awe and beauty of things like the rings of Saturn. For those of you who have never actually witnessed these things first hand, this is your year. Get out to a local astronomy club, I guarantee people will be willing to allow you to use the scope and see these things first hand yourself. This is something I feel everyone should experience once in their lifetime.


Please take some time and read through some of these sites, find events near you, get outside and stare up at the wonders that lay above us each night. Take your friends, your family, your loved ones and enjoy the night sky.




2 comments:

  1. I have known you for years and I think it's long overdue that I tell you that I love that you are such an astronomy geek. If you weren't, I'd still be at western struggling to get a first year sciences credit.

    Thanks for always making me go outside and look up.

    xo, your old star gazing pal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Thank you my super tall friend ... I do miss marching to those astronomy class's in our usually hurried fashion! Glad I could help you with your studies and make a difference.

    We will have to catchup when I come out to BC for a bike race in the summer ... dib's on the couch!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to speak your mind :)