Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Artisan Water

This morning while I was sipping on my Fiji artisan water I began to think about its origins. Was this water really from Fiji Island? Was this beverage truly from volcanic pools rich in minerals? My mind had a sudden shift or realization, call it a guilty conscience if you will ... I wondered where the profits for this drink were being used.

For those of you who may not know, the Fiji Government is currently being run by the Military that was ceased during the countries last Coup held in 2006. The public has been calling for a democratic vote for some time after this took place and order was restored. The country has had a long history of Military Coups ousting governments that the public has deemed unfit to rule but would not leave. They have staged Coups in 1977, 1987, 2000, and the last in 2006. So my thoughts began wondering if all the money made from this product I was consuming were going toward supporting a Military that is holding a country hostage for all intents and purposes.

What does your social conscience tell you to do in these situations; do you feel that your actions can amount to anything that would make a difference? Do you feel that the populous of the planet have any to help the people of Fiji, should the United Nations step in to aid in these types of issues? Or has the world learned a lesson of from the way that other nations have tried to oppose their will upon others. Is it truly ever the right of a people to intervene in situation that they may not fully understand?

I find my thoughts to be extremely divided on this type of issue, I struggle daily with thoughts surrounding how and when societies should engage in helping abroad. With so many ongoing wars, viewpoints, and differing world opinions, when is it right to act?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to speak your mind :)